An easier way to make smoked brisket? TasteHaus’s Joel Bacchus gives tips on cooking the perfect sous vide brisket.
I have always had reservations about smoking a whole brisket. I have two kids and a full-time job. What if it’s terrible after the time, effort, and expense? I had to find a way to do it before barbecue aficionados called me soft or uncommitted to the craft. By making a sous vide brisket, I harnessed the power of science and technology to minimize active cooking time and maximize taste. You can, too!
This recipe won’t rely on pellet smoking. Sue me for being a hypocrite, but it’s cheating when it comes to brisket.
All you need for this recipe is yellow mustard, no salt Montreal steak spice, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika, and Lawry’s seasoning to use after you sous vide the brisket.
Must-have kitchen tools for sous vide brisket
Geryon Vacuum sealer – Affordable and reliable
Weber Smokey Mountain – If you want to show up all your pellet smoker friends, get this
- 1 10-pound brisket
- ⅓ cup yellow mustard
- 2 ½ tablespoons salt-free Montreal steak spice
- 2 ½ tablespoons Onion powder
- 2 ½ tablespoons Garlic powder
- 2 ½ tablespoons Black pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoons Paprika
How to Sous Vide Brisket
8 Steps to make the best sous vide smoked brisket:
- Separate the brisket flat from the point.
- Season well. I used yellow mustard first and gave it a good rub down and then a rub of garlic powder, black pepper, dehydrated onion, and smoked paprika. I use no salt at this stage as it can severely change the intended flavour and texture in the sous vide. Go with no salt and add salt after.
- Vacuum seal. Set sous vide for 36hrs at 155 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dream of brisket.
- Allow brisket to cool in the bag until room temp. Meanwhile, light charcoal and set up a water bowl in the Weber smokey mountain.
- Remove from bag and season. I used Lawry’s spice
- Smoke at 225 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 hours. Add chunks of hickory or pecan for smoke.
- Rest 20-25 minutes. Use a sharp knife to slice, but I promise you that slice will be butter soft!
Tips & Tricks
Hot tip: Never salt your meat before you put in sous vide as it changes the texture of the meat.
What is the best sous vide brisket time and temp?
The best sous vide brisket temperature and time is 24 to 36 hours if cooking at 155°F, or 36 to 72 hours if cooking at 135°F.