TasteHaus’s Ann Lin put in hours of research on authentic Mexican cooking sites to find one of the best recipes for keto pork carnitas, ever.
What’s a girl to do when she has cravings on keto? She joins authentic Mexican recipe groups, and reads through all the hand-me-down pork carnitas recipes. Yup! That was me! Not only did I do keto recipe research in Facebook groups, I read lots of blogs and watched many videos. I then experimented a few times to finally achieve this authentic keto pork carnitas recipe. These pork carnitas are as close as it gets without using oranges.
Are carnitas keto friendly? They sure can be! Keto pulled pork is quick and easy.
Using the Instant Pot makes this pork carnitas keto recipe even better. All the delicious flavours are locked in and it’s juicy, tender, and yet so very crispy! Serve it with homemade pico de gallo, guacamole, and all the fixings on a homemade keto-friendly tortilla and you’ll be thinking about this recipe for days! Or, create keto carnitas sides by serving this as an appetizer on parmesan cheese crisps. You’ll wish you made more!
Kitchen Tools I Used
- 4 lbs pork shoulder
- 2.5 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- minced 2 tbsp lard or duck fat
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fibre syrup or Lakanto Golden
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, chopped (optional)
How to make keto pork carnitas:
14 steps to perfect pork carnitas:
- Rinse pork shoulder thoroughly with water and pat dry with a towel or napkins
- Add sea salt, black pepper, oregano, cumin, and ground coriander. Rub ingredients evenly and set aside to marinate for an hour.
- In a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot®, press the sauté function key. Follow the manufacturer’s guide and set temperature to “Normal”.
- When the Instant Pot reaches the temperature, add lard or duck fat.
- Add garlic and onions and cook until aromatic and translucent then incoperate pork shoulder and sear until brown.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and lock the lid. Turn the pressure valve to sealing.
- Select Pressure Cook on high for 60 minutes. After the pressure cook cycle, quick release and wait until the quick release cycle is complete.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a bowl, shred the meat with two forks and set aside.
- Select the sauté function key to high to reduce the liquid until almost completely evaporated. This will take 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn off the pot and transfer the meat back into the reduced sauce to absorb some of the flavours.
- To crisp in an oven, transfer the pork to a lined baking sheet and lightly spray with avocado oil. Pour 1 cup of reduced sauce over the pork and broil for 5-10 minutes on high heat until golden brown.
- To crisp in an air fryer, transfer the pork baking sheet provided by the air fryer (I own a Cuisinart) or spread it out in your air fryer and air fry at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve the carnitas with homemade keto tortillas, pico de gallo, lime wedges, guacamole, chopped onion, chopped cilantro and shredded cabbage.
- To serve it as an appetizer, use store bought or homemade Parmesan cheese crisps.
This is a weekend keto pork carnitas recipe since the pico de gallo and guacamole are best made fresh just before serving. If you’re in a time crunch, skip the tortilla and serve it as a keto carnitas salad with lettuce or shredded cabbage. Also be sure to check out my review and see why I can’t live with out my Instant Pot by clicking here.